Sunday, February 7, 2016

The Global Society




Technology and social media have shifted our social culture by allowing us to be more connected globally.  According to Xian and Greztel,  "Social networking media" can be generally defined as internet-based applications which are created, initiated, circulated and used to educate each other about lifestyles, brands, and cultures (Woojin, Tyrell, & Erdem, 2013). Social media sites including Facebook, YouTube, Twitter and Instagram allows users to further develop existing relationships, seek new relationship, and explore inspirational relationships (Boyd and Ellison, 2007). Social networking sites allow users to connect with those who they have common interests. 

Technology and social sites changed the way we interact with others because we now connect to people we have not seen in long periods of time or those who inspire us; they also allow us to be friends with people from many different countries.  Thus allowing us to understand different customs and cultures.  For example, I only access social media via mobile devices, and last night I saw that my friend, who lives in Japan, was attending Winter Festival in Sapporo.  She posted a few interesting photos of sculptures that had been carved out of snow which peaked my attention.

I was so intrigued that I passed my phone to my seven year old daughter and she instantly asked many questions about this festival.  I sent my friend a Facebook message to upload more photos for my daughter to see, and she told me to go to her Instagram account because she had many photos uploaded there.  As a family, we then clicked on the hashtag everyone was using to see more.  We also Googled more about this event, to learn the cultures of other society’s.  This festival brings in over 2 million people a year to see sculptures, castles, art designs created out of both snow and ice.  Oh, and there is Sapporo beer, and a lot of it.

Why is this story important?  It is important because it shows how we are globally connected to friends, and allows others experiences to be shared.  I never knew a festival like this excited and now my entire family wants to take a (long) trip to Japan to see this in person.
Watch the video below, and I guarantee if you like the cold you will want to go next year:


References
Boyde, D., & Ellison, N. (2007). Social network sites: Definition, history, and scholarship. Journal of Computer-Mediated Communication, 13(1), 210-230.
Woojin, L., Tyrell, T., & Erdem, M. (2013). Exploring the behavioral aspects of adapting technology: Meeting planner's use of social networking media and the impact of percieved critial mass. Journal of Hospitality and Tourism Technology(4), 6-22. doi:10.1108/175798813113023

No comments:

Post a Comment